Friday, November 12, 2010

Word Games

I have long been fascinated with words and phrases. I admit that it is very annoying to my wife, but she did promise that “for better or for worse” stuff and a promise is a promise. But I love the absurdities of the English language. If I had been smarter, I may have studied linguistics.

Since I have no better way to occupy my time than to think of stuff like this, here is a list of interesting expressions that really require comment:

  • Drive thru – Don’t you need to stop, at least once and maybe twice?
  • Natural food – As opposed to what, unnatural or supernatural food?
  • Final approach – So how many approaches did you make before the final one?
  • "It was the in the last place I looked." – Of course it was. Would you keep looking once you found it?
  • All-you-can-eat – Really? Don’t you want to put some time limits on this because I plan to eat for the rest of my life?
  • Blazing inferno – Aren’t all infernos blazing? Firefighter #1: "Wow, it took a long time to put out that inferno." Firefighter #2: "Yeah, good thing it wasn’t a blazing inferno. We might have been here all day" (Note: Some brainiac will no doubt point out that inferno does not always need to refer to a fire like “the inferno of war.” But, who cares. Get your own blog).
  • Rear view mirror – No, I’d rather have the one that lets me see in front.
  • Paid vacation – Really? So why do vacations cost me a ton of money? Why do I have to save all year for a vacation? From now on, I want the one that pays me, for cryin’ out loud.
As I continue my research, I am sure that I will discover more language oddities. Your submissions are welcomed. I will give you credit for them so you too can be admired by this blog’s vast audience of 2 or 3.

1 comment:

  1. why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?
    why is it called a PAIR of underwear and A bra?
    ....i'll let you know if i can think of any other! love the blog!

    ReplyDelete